Designed in 1928 by Charles Nicholson for a group from Royal Vancouver Yacht Club, she was built by Vancouver Dry Dock in North Vancouver. She is forever associated with the historic win of the Lipton Cup in 1929 over Seattle’s previously unbeatable Sir Tom. Lady Van was found languishing in Seattle and was repatriated to Canada in 2009 to start the arduous process of restoration. Don Martin led the project to revive Lady Van and the Alexandra Cup, a splendid punch bowl gifted in 1905 by the Rt. Hon. Lt. Governor James Dunsmuir to encourage international competition between the United States and Canada.
In October 2010, Lady Van once again graced the race course, winning the Jack Cribb Memorial Trophy, and later the Alexandra Cup series.
The restoration of Lady Van was undertaken by Jespersen Boat Builders and is chronicled here in the slide show.